Twenty some years ago I had an idea for an Italian Romanesque tower for a site in Greenwich Village. I lost much of the back up material, but I found some slides I took while rendering the perspective. The following is a sequence of images showing the process. I know, it is like showing how to make buggy whips now that everyone uses Photoshop, but you might find it interesting.
Once I had an ink drawing, it was party time! I had it photo-reduced to an 8"x10" size, and I xeroxed the thing. Using pastels I worked up a number of possible color schemes. My default is a warm/cool balance that helps make the building pop out, but I'll do 8 or 10 variations if I have the time. It is a quick process, and you get immediate gratification. What's not to like.
The following are photos of the board while I'm proceeding to airbrush the final.
Now... the punch line here is that I gave this rendering to my sister-in-law, but I lost the print I made of it...so
I can't show you a good final.
However, I liked the ink drawing so well that I later did a different color rendering on the same ink drawing.