Saturday, July 30, 2011

Drawing Process 1

I was just in NYC to meet an old friend/mentor, and get his advice on the book I'm writing.  He pointed out that finished renderings, drawings and paintings were nice for inspiration, but a bit more process would be nice.

He was right, and so without any more delay, a bit of process.  Unfortunately, I'm not in a verbose state of mind (am I ever?), so just a few notes will be attached.


The general lines have already been finalized on toned pastel paper, working from a photo.  No tracing allowed, I'm trying to force myself to "see".  The bright and shadowed areas are then roughed in using white and black Prismacolor pencils.



Most of life is filled with polishing.  Not the most entertaining work, but excellent for training the eye to see in detail. The same color pencils are used to develop the form.  I was especially interested in capturing the reflected lighting on the right, and the pattern of muscles under the skin on the lower back.  It is interesting that I prefer black and white nudes to color nudes.  My sense of color seems to be oriented toward buildings and landscape rather then skin tone.  I imagine a psychiatrist would have something to say about that.



Next, a sketch (again from a photo) of the nave of Ely Cathedral.  This was more of a exercise in laying out a complex bit of architecture, and less a study of shape and form.  Above is the layout; some of it is fairly straightforward, but the lantern is a bear being an octagon with supporting piers.


Here I've moved into some of the light and dark.  Still trying to clarify the lantern and supporting walls.


And finally, I've pretty much given up on detailing the lantern, and turned instead to the foreground finials. 

I am not happy with the result, but it does show the process, and how you don't always end up with the result you were hoping for.

No comments:

Post a Comment